Wednesday 18 July 2012

Smile


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight - Phyllis Diller

A smile is a simple facial expression that involves flexing the muscles near both ends of the mouth to create an upwards curve to indicate happiness, joy, pleasure or amusement. Smiling is something that is understood by everyone despite their language, race or religion; it is internationally recognised and appreciated.

I enjoy smiling. I’d like to think that I smile quite a lot; I’m generally quite a smiley person, which is why it’s so painfully obvious when I’m in a bad mood. Ooops?! Anyway I smiled today. In fact I smiled today for numerous reasons. Some of these include the fact that I finished work at 4pm, had my hair cutely plaited by Rimi, purchased the new Heat, Star and Grazia magazines, listened to my favourite song of the moment: Ghetto Baby by Cheryl, managed to grab a clean and brand new copy of Stylist magazine (fellow Londoners will appreciate this), got home just in time before the heavens decided to open, saw pictures of Harper Beckham walking, was informed that there is going to be another Nativity film and also devoured a delicious chicken salad for lunch. It would be fair to say that although nothing spectacular has happened in my day, I’ve smiled regardless.

There are plenty of other reasons to smile, including:
1     Smiling makes you “attractive.” We are subconsciously drawn to people who smile. Frowns, scowls and grimaces all push people away, however a smile draws them in. (Note to self when I spot a hottie at work.)
2     Smiling is contagious. When you’re in the company of someone who is smiling it helps lift your mood as well. So pass on your smile on to those less-smiley than yourself!
      Smiling can change your mood. Apparently you can trick yourself into thinking you’re happy by simply smiling. I tried this the other day and it actually worked (admittedly this was only because I ended up laughing about how ridiculous I was: sat there grinning like a Cheshire cat even though I was angry!) Nevertheless it worked!

Yesterday I smiled so much that my cheeks physically ached. I was given the task of greeting every customer that came into the store. Cue a lot of smiling, hello, hi, good afternoon, welcome, how are you? etc etc. I’m not going to lie when I was informed of my task for the day I wasn’t extremely optimistic, I mean Londoners aren’t exactly renowned for their smiling and welcoming demeanours however the shoppers of Westfield proved this stereotype wrong. Nearly everyone I greeted smiled and said hello back with some engaging in a full blown conversation with me (one lady had flown in from New York for a wedding, another man was writing an article for the Sun about a day-in-the-life-of-an-athlete and a couple of elderly ladies complimented my lipstick colour and wished they were young enough to wear it as well!) I was pleasantly surprised which subsequently made me smile even more.

Since moving to London it’s been blatantly obvious to see the differences in lifestyles between here and Bournemouth. Whereas it was a normal day-to-day occurrence for me to smile at a stranger that I’d passed on the street back home, when I do it up here I'm often greeted by a look of confusion. *Did that girl just smile at me? Weird.* Yep that’s right lady sat opposite me on the tube, I just smiled at you! Don’t look too deeply into it, don’t ask questions, just take it, smile back and then pass it on to someone else!

I’m guilty and freely admit that I am often way too quick to grumble about the bad things instead of forgetting them and focusing on the numerous reasons I have to smile.* I suggest that tomorrow you all smile at a stranger, it’ll take only a split second and a few facial muscle movements from you but it could well be the only sunshine they see all day, especially the way our British “summer” is going…. Give it a try! :)

 *FYI just in case you were wondering what the one thing that makes me smile more than anything in the entire world is…. I'll give you one guess and one guess only….. Jazpups. OBVS! She could make a proper Grumpy McGrumpson crack open a smile, even though she isn't exactly a fan of smiling herself! I like to think she's constantly pulling a "VB" when she has pictures, she is just as fabulous as her after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment