Thursday 28 June 2012

David Beckham’s Team GB Omission


Yo. What’s going on? Today (Thursday) is my day off (the price for which I have to pay is working on Saturday) anyway back to today and I was so desperately looking forward to a lie in after two 7 o’clock starts in a row. However the delightful people who live in the flat above me had other plans. They started drilling at 7am. YES you read that right, DRILLING AT 7 A-FREAKING-M. By 9 o’clock I was close to venturing to B&Q, purchasing a drill myself and drilling through the ceiling and hopefully straight through their bare-feet. I was angry. Thankfully (for them, as well as me) I have friends who have quiet houses so I went round one of them to watch the remainder of Jeremy Kyle in peace. My morning improved; I had a delicious bowl of Almond flavoured Special K and I saw my tweet featured on This Morning. Things were looking up. That was until I heard the disappointing, shocking and down-right outrageous news that David Beckham hasn’t made the Great Britain Olympic football team.

At first I thought it was some sort of joke. I mean c’mon he’s David Beckham: a God of EVERYTHING, especially football, so he was obviously bound to make the team. He has 115 England caps, captained our national team and is seen as one of our country’s greatest ever players. How could it be true? Well sadly it is, and I for one ain’t happy. David Beckham is a talent on and off the pitch *winkwinknudgenudge* which makes you, Stuart Pearce, an absolute muppet in my (and the majority of the female populations) eyes.

On hearing the news my first thought was utter devastation. David Beckham playing in the GB football team was my one “REALISTIC” chance of meeting Victoria. She’d obviously be there to support her husband, being the doting wife that she is, whilst I was also hoping to be present which would mean that our paths would have inevitably crossed and we would have obviously struck up a never-ending friendship. She’d invite me to LA, I’d meet Simon Cowell, he’d ask me to present USA X Factor, which would then mean I’d meet Britney because she’s a judge, I’d get an apparentment in New York, shop along 5th Avenue whenever I fancied, meet Chace Crawford, get married and basically just live happily-ever-freaking-after. However that isn’t going to happen now, IS IT STUART PEARCE? Thanks to you and your decision making my life is now completely ruined and I’m going to have to come up with a whole new plan. Thanks a bunch.  After coming to terms with the fact that the life I had so carefully planned out in my head was ruined I then felt angry but more importantly disappointed for David…

Pearce (the Manager of the GB Olympic football team) had originally shortlisted DB in his 35 man squad, to then cut him out at the final hurdle, not making the final 18-man team. Now, to my knowledge David isn’t injured and considering all that he has done to secure London getting the Olympic bid it seems like an absurd decision to come to. He played a key part in us winning the bid for the Games in Singapore in 2005, and basically hasn’t shut up about how excited he is over it all ever since. He also often speaks out about his desire to play for his country again. More recently he flew in from LA, last month to be exact, to light the Olympic torch. He was the only one at the event anyone was interested in. (This was also when he debuted his dodgy beard, which by the way, I’ve suprisingly come to like. What can I say? The man can do no wrong in my eyes!)

David himself said that he’s “very disappointed” but also added that there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me. And like everyone, I will be hoping they can win the gold.”  Diplomatic and gracious until the very end, what a hero. Here’s hoping Micah Richards, Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy: the three over 23 year old players that Stuart has chosen to play in the team, perform well. The rest of the squad will be announced soon, if anyone is still interested... zzzz

Although people are saying Beckham will still be involved in the games I’ve taken it upon myself to try and compensate for Stuart Pearce’s mistake, by illustrating this blog with some delicious pictures, especially as now we won’t be treated to any hot-topless-Beckham action on the pitch this Summer... Booo.

Also having written this blog I’ve realised the irony after my last post involved moaning about how I hang around with people who talk about football too much. Meh you know what they say “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em…”


No comments:

Post a Comment