Wednesday 1 February 2012

The Artist. Silence is golden.

I’m renowned for crying. Just the other day I cried when I thought I’d lost my phone. I hadn’t. It was in my hand. I realised this as I went to wipe away my tears and was greeted by a hefty phone knocking against my face. It would be fair to say that I cry very easily, especially at films. No matter how many times I watch Marley and Me I’ll always shed a tear. But it’s not so common for me to cry tears of joy. However that very thing occurred whilst I watched The Artist.
It’s a film set in the late 1920’s/early 30’s about the black and white silent age of Hollywood and is itself also in black and white and silent. Well almost; there are a couple of spoken words at the end and an orchestral background throughout. The French movie tells the story of George Valentine and Peppy Miller. George is an elder, more established Hollywood star, whereas Peppy is only just starting out and seeking such fame. George helps her on her way but is soon overtaken by her success as she willingly ventures into the unknown of acting ‘speaking’ roles, which George, down to his pride, daren’t accept. I won’t ruin the whole plot but there’s romance, comedy and drama all hidden within the silence. Oh, and I mustn’t forget about George’s trademark sidekick, his adorable little Jack Russell terrier, Uggie. Who hands down steals the show, just like he did at the Golden Globes!
Drained of all colour and noise I’m surprised I enjoyed the movie as much as I did. I won’t lie there were some points where my concentration wavered and I begin to tire. This wasn’t ideal as without words it is vital that you watch every moment to understand or else you miss parts and are left behind. With that said the music did all the talking that was needed, along with the rare use of subtitles.
Now, I’ve always been one to watch and thoroughly enjoy shallow films. Ones where you don’t have to think too much because the storyline is easy to follow/you can guess what’s going to happen ten minutes into it! Throw in a good dose of romance, a few belly-aching jokes, a good-looking actor (for example Ryan Gosling) who preferably takes their top off at some part throughout the film, and I’m usually sold. Subsequently it shouldn’t come as much of a shock when I tell you that I’d never watched a silent movie before. The Artist may well be the first one I have watched, but it most definitely won’t be the last.
The whole no speaking rule reminded me of the other week when I was relaying how I was unable to speak for several days to my boss, he replied with the simple remark of "silence is golden" along with a somewhat patronising smile (it was fair - I talk too much!) This proverbial saying is often used in circumstances where it is thought that saying nothing is preferable to speaking. This of course, in my eyes, didn’t relate to my circumstance at all. In fact I’d say my circumstance was more torture; however it suits The Artist down to the ground. As the movie captures the essence of this saying and proves it to be absolutely correct. No words were uttered during the endearing movie until the very last minute, and no words were needed up until then either.
...It turns out that they most definitely do still make ‘em like they used to! Here’s to hoping it wins all the Oscars!

No comments:

Post a Comment