Thursday 19 January 2012

New Girl

I LOVE American tv shows. From 90210 to Glee, Gossip Girl to Desperate Housewives, I watch them all, and I watch them online before they’re shown in the UK because I simply can’t wait that long. It’s fair to say I’m hooked/a loser/need a life and because of this I had promised myself as a new year’s resolution that I wouldn’t start watching anymore television programmes online. I’d have to be patient and wait for any new shows that I wanted to get in to, to be shown on normal television.
Earlier this month I was back at home sprawled across the sofa, wrapped up in a blanket with a high temperature and no voice (please read yesterdays blog) when an advert on channel 4 caught my eye. It was for a new programme starring Zooey Deschanel (Summer from 500 days of Summer) called ‘New Girl.’ I could tell from the 20 second long advert that this show was going to become my new guilty pleasure. I was thrilled to see that the first episode was up on 4od to watch before it aired on channel 4 a couple of weeks later. It took a lot of energy for me to move off of the sofa to fetch the laptop, let me tell you. But I did it; I did it for my love of American television shows. And sure enough a mere 20 minutes later having watched the entire first episode I was ready to break my new year’s resolution. I then watched the next three episodes in a row online. Out of the blue I was suddenly overcome with guilt, I realised I was doing exactly what I promised I wouldn’t, so I turned the laptop off and stopped. The next day arrived and I without even realising what I had done, I had watched the following five episodes. After watching them all I went to watch the next one and to my absolute horror there wasn’t another. WHAT? Are you kidding me? I’d caught up with all of the episodes that had been aired in America since SEPTEMBER within 24 hours. This was bad. I was devastated. The only way I can further elaborate on how I felt is to say I imagine it’s what a drug addict feels like without having their fix. Yes, it really was that bad. I’d loved every minute of the numerous hours I’d just spent watching New Girl and was ready to spend endless more continuing this beautiful pattern but I couldn’t. It was beyond heart breaking.
For those of you who haven’t watched New Girl, I urge you to. It’s witty, entertaining, sarcastic and within every episode there were moments which made me genuinely laugh out loud. The basic storyline is that after a bad break-up, Jess (Zooey Deschanel) who is what some would describe as an “original” young woman moves into an apartment with three single men, Schmidt, Nick and Winston, whom she’s never met before. Jess’s behaviour is somewhat unusual and she’s known to spontaneously burst into song, yet she’s endearing and you’ll instantly fall in love with her. Zooey Deschanel does the most perfect job in portraying her character as her trademark quirkiness in still intact. Apart from Zooey another of my favourite aspects about New Girl is the Douchebag Jar, in which Schmidt must inset however much money the judger deemed necessary after he’s done something douchey! I also instantly fell in love with the theme tune, which Zooey sings herself. It’s catchy, brilliant and automatically puts a smile on my face. I subsequently had to download it on iTunes, guess what’s going to be on repeat for the foreseeable future…
Hey gurrrl, whatcha doing? Hey gurrrl where you going? Who's that girl? (Who's that girl?) Who's that girl? (Who's that girl?) IT'S JESS.
Oh dear! All that’s left to say is, roll on the next episode…!

No comments:

Post a Comment