Friday 28 June 2013

The pro's of being a reality star..


I was recently asked whether I would like to start writing a few television reviews. Being the TV junkie that I am I obviously jumped at the chance and sat down on Wednesday evening in front of TOWIE ready to take some notes and muster up a practise review to see if they liked my style of writing. Little did I know how upset and involved I would become within the episode…

Chloe Sims, Joey’s older cousin (aka the one with the massive set of veneers) went for an interview at Essex Style magazine. Ooh, I thought, I wonder how she managed that? When asked for her CV Chloe handed over a piece of A4: which was only half full and printed in pink. Elle Woods wannabe. We were off to a good start...

The first question of the interview was “What do you know about Essex Style magazine?” And Chloe’s reply was “Err… it’s a magazine based in Essex.” Right. Now my Dad always told me that Rule number 1 before going to an interview was to do some background research. Know about the company, drop in facts: show that you’re interested and know about them. So far, not so good then Chloe! Next the interviewer said “So you’ve got no formal training in Journalism or magazines?” to which Chloe responded “No, not Journalism. I worked in a fashion company at 21, where I started off as a showroom model, you know where they fit the stuff on you.” Oh yeah, pretty similar roles then Chloe… ahem. Next question of the interview was “Do you have any interest in current affairs?” Chloe’s response: “what like…..?” Interviewer: “…like the news” Chloe: “No. I don’t watch the news.” When told that the role would involve a lot of hard work Chloe came up with the genius answer of “Yeah I used to work in a card shop when I was 16, so I’m used to working” Then when finally asked what sets her apart from others Chloe replied “Well, obviously I’m serious about fashion, I’m and hard worker and also I’m just like bustin’ to have a job like this. So, I dunno if anyone wants it as much as me” ERR HELLO, OVER HERE *waves* (Oh and FYI those were her exact words.)

A few scenes later Chloe announced that she had been given the job. Yay for Chloe!!... I on the other hand started to question anything and everything I had ever been told regarding applying for jobs and interviews as well as just questioning life in general. What is the point? After that ridiculous revelation I was left feeling very inadequate and ready to turn the TV off and sulk. I also contemplated deleting over half of my CV and changing the font colour to pink whilst I was at it.

Chloe had somehow managed to get a job on a magazine after just ONE interview (one that appeared to be a massive train-wreck.) For a while I honestly got so sucked into it all that I thought I had been doing something wrong, so instead of applying for jobs I debated going on TOWIE and getting a magazine column that way… then I remembered that it’s all just a silly “reality” show that doesn’t actually portray “reality” at all and that I was watching it to write a review on it, not to question the meaning of life. Phew. So I sat back down, guzzled down some Vanilla flavoured Coke (it’s back, and it’s just as good as it used to be. It’s also on buy one get one free at Waitrose FYI) and carried on writing my review: which I sent off and received positive feedback on. I will subsequently now be writing frequent reviews (on TOWIE and other programmes) for Entertainmentwise.com

….Ah, I do like a happy ending!!

No comments:

Post a Comment