Tuesday 18 June 2013

The most perfect bedtime story


We all have problems. We all have worries. We all feel like we carry the weight of the world on our shoulders at some point. Sometimes we become so caught up in our own dramas that we forget how small not only our problems are, but also how small we are ourselves.

Last night I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. I was tucked up in bed by 8pm and ready to catch an early night (I’ve been feeling very under the weather recently) when I realised I hadn’t yet closed my window: oh man! The mere thought of having to get up out of bed to open the curtain and then close the window left me feeling exhausted (even though it was a mere one step away!) but boy was I happy when I did. When I opened my curtains I couldn’t believe my eyes. The sky was all kind of beautiful shades of pink teamed with reds, mauves, oranges and yellows. The sun was saying goodnight after another day: it was absolutely stunning and I had front-row seat what with being 8 floors up! (it certainly has it advantages when it comes to watching sunsets and fireworks, although it also has its downfalls when the lifts are out of order!) I must have stood at my window for a good minute just gawping before I eventually grabbed my phone and snapped a couple of pictures. I didn't even need to use a filter on Instagram (thats when you know that something is naturally beautiful: when you don't feel the need to 'Valencia' it up!)

Watching the delightful scene made me feel really small. I often feel the same when looking out at the ocean. It really helps puts things into perspective: there’s a whole big wide world out there and my problems and I are such a teeny tiny part of it. It was so sad seeing the sun and vibrant colours disappear but I’m so thankful that I got to see it. I’m also really thankful that I left my window open and decided to close it at that particular moment.

Having watched the sun set completely, the pinks and oranges faded away and the clouds carried on floating by on their own little journey: I got back on to mine. I guzzled a hot ribena, had a soother and hopped back into bed and called it a night. (I know, I know, sometimes I really do lead such a rockstar life!!!)

Thanks for the best bedtime story I’ve had in a long while World! I can’t wait for another soon, please…


No comments:

Post a Comment