Monday 8 August 2011

Rioting

I've just returned from a lovely evening in Aruba catching up with my newly-married friends over Strawberry Daiquiri's and Mojito's. After returning home I switched on my tv and Sky News came on as it was the last channel I'd been watching (this is becoming a more frequent occurrence - I'm becoming somewhat of a news junkie!) and I saw the headline at the bottom BIRMINGHAM RIOTS. Huh? Hold on a second, before I left just 4 hours ago, the riots were in London, surely that's a typo? Sadly it wasn't. The riots are now not only all over London, but they are starting in Birmingham and have been threatened to start in Leeds. I've been watching in absolute horror for the last half an hour, and I haven't stopped shaking my head. It would appear that Britain has genuinely gone mad.

The riots started in Tottenham on Saturday night after a shooting involving the police, then the looters started joining in and since it has only got worse and spread. Our Grandparents generation fought a war and died for us to have freedom. They lived a life of poverty, they never rioted or stole. This is no longer about politics or the shooting in Tottenham, because if it was they'd be targetting Downing Street. It is now about greed and disrespect, and people being down-right selfish with their actions, subsequently ruining lives, communities and businesses. I really hope the stolen pair of trainers, television or laptop was worth it, scum. Rioting isn't a trend, and shouldn't be followed.



I'm going to end this blog here, it's not very long, possibly the shortest I've ever written, but I'm struggling to find the words to describe what I want to say or express my anger, sadness and embarrassment of the whole situation, and anyway by the time I type things up there will be more breaking news! All of that along with the fact that I genuinely cannot take my eyes off the news. So, I'll leave you all with a quote that pretty much sums it up. A man who owns a store in Croydon said earlier: "You might have some nice pictures, but my life has been destroyed. Goodnight Sky News."

Lastly, London police, fire and ambulance staff are all heroes tonight, and for those of you reading this who are near the riots - stay safe x

No comments:

Post a Comment