Tuesday 24 May 2011

What the heel!

This morning I watched last night's episode of Made in Chelsea. It was horrendous. I'm still unsure as to whether they are a group of (really bad) actors or whether they are genuinely like that and basically, to put it politely, complete idiots! I mean it wouldn't come as much surprise as I know many people (who will remain nameless, but those who know me will know who I'm talking about!) who would fit in perfectly in the new Channel 4 programme about those who live the "high-life in Chelsea"! Anyway one of the best lines from last night's show was when a girl (I don't know all of their names) was talking about different ideas to raise money for charity when she came up with the concept of "Louboutins for the blind." The guy she was talking to (I believe his name was Francis) said he didn't understand the connection to which she replied "I know they're like blind and can't see the red-sole, but Louboutin's are like classic shoes.." Wow. As most of you well know, I don't always come out with the most intelligent of quotes, but seriously? Anyway the whole red-sole topic leads me nicely onto this blog, which will be looking into the question of who invented the famous, fashionable and most sought-after shoe sole, The Red Sole...

"I did not really choose the red sole, it's more like the red sole came to me and had to stay with me. It started as a happy accident, which I kept. I was very inspired by pop art so all my drawings were really full of colours. So the first prototype arrives. It's very similar to my designs so I was very happy, but something was missing. Thank God I had this girl with me who was painting her nails. Grabbed her nail-polish - thank you to Chanel for that! I grabbed the nail-polish and I painted the sole."

These were the words from Christian Louboutin himself on how the famous red-sole that feature upon all of his shoe designs came about. Some of you may already know (and if you didn't you will after reading this blog) that Louboutin launched a legal attack against Yves Saint Laurent last month in an attempt to stop them selling "virtually identical" red-soled footwear in shops that stock both the popular brands. However YSL have hit back saying that Mr Louboutin was fraudulent in his claim that he had the 'exclusive' use of the red sole.

The French fashion house, which is apparently being sued for $1 million, says that it has been putting red soles on shoes since the Seventies, which is long before Mr Louboutin who actually only registered his trademark red-soles in the U.S. in 2008. YSL went on to say that the concept has been used for centuries, dating back to red shoes which were worn by King Louis XIV in the 1600s, and then obviously the famous ruby red shoes that were worn by Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. "As an industry leader who has devoted his entire professional life to women's footwear, Mr. Louboutin either knew or should have known about some or all of the dozens of footwear models that rendered his sworn statement false." Yves Saint Laurent claims. Meow! Personally I think there's one, obvious way to solve this disagreement, and that would be to grab a pair of their respected heels and fight it out. May the best designer win...!

Louboutin is a brand favoured by a never-ending list of celebrities, including my personal favourite Queen VB, along with Jennifer Lopez, Blake Lively and Kylie Minogue. Who wore the most beautiful pair I have ever seen, whilst she performed on X Factor last year. I loved them at first glance and made my mum immediately pause the show so I could get a closer look. They were silver and encrusted with diamonds and lots of glitter, which teamed with the eye-catching red-sole resulted in one hell of a stunning shoe. I was very jel. And having immediately commencing my research, I found that the shoes were going to cost a mere three grand *rolls eyes* and hadn't yet been launched or available to buy for us commoners! Amusingly, whilst prancing around the stage, Kylie slipped up in them - it happens to the best of us Kylie, don't worry! Now I'm not saying that YSL isn't as popular a brand, because it is. But for me Louboutin's "thing" is shoes, whereas YSL do amazing clothing, make up and perfumes. 

I often look people up and down (without realising and with no malicious intent behind my stare) just to view their whole outfit and to judge how well it has or hasn't been put together. Whenever I see a glimpse of a red-sole the outfit automatically gets the full 5 stars. No matter how awful the clothes, in my world, a pair of Louboutins can turn any awful outfit right around!

I think, for me, red soles will always scream Louboutin, and my UK size 4 *hint hint* feet will long for a pair, until they're snuggled up and strutting down the street wearing them! Regardless of who invented the red-sole...!

By the way, if after reading this blog you would like to buy me a pair of Louboutins (or YSL's - I'll happily accept either) please do feel free! As I mentioned above I'm a UK size 4, which is a European size 37. Thanks in advance x

No comments:

Post a Comment