Sunday 19 May 2013

The Great Gatsby


I’ve never been a massive movie person. The answer to the often asked question “have you seen this film” is likely to be no. I lose concentration and get distracted easily; I become fidgety and subsequently don’t often visit the cinema. However, when I enjoy a film I have the best time and want to go to the cinema ALL the time.

Last night instead of our usual “Cocktail club” (fear not, we’re meeting again tonight for some of that!) we decided to partake in a “sober Saturday” and head to the cinema instead: step forward Cinema Club! The film of choice was The Great Gatsby. Crystal wanted to see it because she’d enjoyed the book, Chels because “it looked good” and I had agreed to go because of the promise of spending a couple hours with Leonardo DiCaprio: as if I’d ever turn that down! After the popcorn and non-alcoholic drinks had been purchased and we were seated (in what were actually really comfortable seats: the bonus of living near a new cinema!) the trailers started. This is when I get what I call “cinema-happy” and want to see all the films advertised, although I very rarely actually go because of the whole fidget-boredom-lack of concentration thing. Anywhere there was a few films advertised that looked pretty good (one in particular called Now You See Me) but I’m not going to hold my breath about whether I actually go to see it!

The Great Gatsby, which is Baz Lurhmann’s cinematic interpretation of F Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novella of bad timing and lost love in the Jazz Age, opened with Tobey Maguire (it was soon apparent that the film would be narrated as a flashback by him.) I was instantly disappointed. Where was Leo? He was the reason I was there. It took a good 20 minutes before I set eyes on him and when it happened I burst out laughing. The scene was hilarious. He twirled around, holding a glass of champagne at one of his lavish parties, whilst there are fireworks popping off in the background. (The real reason I laughed was actually because I genuinely believe that similar would happen when I first meet Leo in real life and I suddenly had a moment of realisation of how utterly delusional I am– ha!) Anyway Leo was looking mighty fine: he’s aged well, albeit whilst looking a little fuller in the face. His eyes are still a beautiful glistening blue and I was very appreciative of the numerous close-ups of them.

Before watching I didn’t know much about the storyline, nor did I particularly want to. I asked my friends for a brief synopsis and this is what I was told: a guy moves into a house and makes friends with his neighbour: a mysterious, wealthy man, who is madly in love with a woman called Daisy. Now, having watched the film if someone was to ask me how I’d describe the storyline the only detail I’d add to that would be that Daisy is an idiot. I’m 100% Team Gatsby: although this may be definitely is down to the choice of actor!

It was by no means the best film I’ve ever seen (nothing will ever beat Mary Poppins) but I left the cinema feeling strangely satisfied (yet completely unsatisfied at the fact I’ve never attended a Gatsby party at the same time!) I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it, especially after hearing some really dire reviews, but I personally thoroughly enjoyed myself. Yes the storyline lacked excitement at points, but it was actually quite a cute love story, in a stalkery/creepy/slightly concerning kind of way! …And the Lord knows I’m a sucker for one of those! I got a little confused at one point as I had missed some of the “dodgy dealing” references (probably because I was more interested in drooling), but after having clarification from Crystal about what was going on I got back on track.

Luhrmann did a brilliant job in making the film aesthetically pleasing. The costumes, 1920s backdrops, black and white footage of New York and car scenes were simply fantastic. The
one thing I wasn’t so keen on was the soundtrack: there was too much Jay Z. I was half expecting him to pop up dressed in a flapper-girls dress, draped in pearls just to make his presence even more felt. I mean seriously, yeah we get it: you produced the soundtrack Jay chill! I felt some of the songs chosen didn’t match the film and were a bad choice, but they added liveliness to what could be seen as quite a slow storyline so I guess they played their part.


Would I recommend you go see it? Yeah, sure I would. I enjoyed the storyline even though it lacked substance in some parts. I enjoyed the costumes and the glitz. I enjoyed the extreme and obnoxious lavishness of it all. I enjoyed Leo DC. I even enjoyed Tobey Maguire (that’s a new one!) Although I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as the “Great” Gatsby, I found it to be more of an “enjoyable/better than average” Gatsby.

Lastly, if you go and watch it and you leave the cinema not absolutely dying to attend a “Gatsby party” there is something terribly, terribly wrong with you “old sport!”

3.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment